To maintain security of the Somervell County Jail facility and ensure the immediate security, care and control of inmates
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This position receives supervision from the Sergeant Corrections Office and the Lieutenant Jail Administrator.
Exercises no supervision
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES – Important responsibilities and duties may include but are not limited to the following.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Examination of legal documents to determine that inmates are being legally admitted to the Somervell County Jail.
- Review of current arrest records, criminal history information, and past institutional behavior records in order to classify inmates and place them in proper housing.
- Review of inmate medical and mental health information to identify inmates with serious medical problems, contagious diseases, or suicidal tendencies.
- Properly log and record all inmate monies and personal property.
- Conduct searches of inmates including clothing and living space.
- Communicate with professionals and the general public regarding jail inmates.
- Perform security checks and document prisoner actions; investigate any suspicious activities.
- Maintain the sanitary conditions of the prisoners and the jail structure.
- Distribute supplies, food, medication, and other necessities to inmates incarcerated in the Somervell County Jail.
- Supervise visitations, document all daily activities, report and log all maintenance.
- Handle disciplinary problems; restrain violent and suicidal inmates; respond to medical emergencies; contact proper authorities when necessary.
- Prepare and serve meals according to state jail standards.
- Create and maintain a variety of records, reports and logs, both handwritten and on computer.
- Complete process of intake of an inmate on the computerized software in use by the Somervell County Jail
- Process fingerprints on inmates being booking into the Somervell County Jail
- Operate electronic intercom and electronic door systems
Other Important Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain Jail Supplies
- Assist in transporting county prisoners to Court
- Attend in-service schools and training
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Principles and procedures of Records Keeping
- Self Defense tactics
- Modern officer procedures, methods, and computer equipment
- First aid principles, practices and techniques
- Self defense tactics
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Occupational hazards and safety practices
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, regulations and codes
- County and state laws and ordinances
- Departmental rules and regulations, policies, procedures and directives
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following
- Subduing resisting individuals
- Chase fleeing subjects
- Lifting and carrying moderate-to-heavy objects
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Operating assigned equipment
- Effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve:
- Responding to emergency situations
- Working closely with others
- Irregular working hours
- Exposure to body fluids
- Effectively deal with personal danger which may include exposure to:
- Armed/dangerous persons
- Communicable diseases
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Reading and writing
- Operating assigned equipment
- Communicating with others
- Maintain mental capacity which allows for the capability of
- Exercising sound judgment and rational thinking under dangerous circumstances
- Evaluating various options and alternatives and choose an appropriate and reasonable course of action.
- Demonstrating intellectual capabilities during training and testing process
- Work with hostile individuals in a stressful environment
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Learn the operation of standard equipment and facilities required in the performance of assigned duties.
- Meet the physical requirements established by the department.
One year of law enforcement or jailer experience is desirable
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid driver’s license
Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid Corrections Officer license as prescribed by TCLEOSE
Jail environment (lockdown facility); responding to emergency situations; working closely with others; irregular working hours that may include variations in shift assignments; Possible exposure to armed/dangerous persons, communicable diseases and body fluids.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; subduing resisting individuals; chasing fleeing subject; lifting and carrying moderate material.