Constructs and maintains county roads, bridges, and properties. Performs brush cutting, mowing, weed-eating, trash pick-up, and general landscape duties. Receives minimal direction from Operator II.
• Identify equipment needs for each assigned project; pick up and deliver equipment from construction sites.
• Hauls base, sand, brush, and oversized rock and debris for the construction and safety of right of ways.
• Perform construction and maintenance tasks such as excavations, concrete work, truck driving, pouring concrete, asphalt spreading, jack-hammering, basic surveying and a variety of repair activities.
• Cuts brush using chain saws, pole saws, brush cutters and bucket truck to clean and maintain right of ways.
• Perform preventative maintenance on heavy and light equipment as required; grease fittings; replenish fluid levels. Cleans trucks, equipment, and property to maintain safety and professional care of county equipment and property.
• Places signs to maintain public safety.
• Remain on call to perform public assistance during after work hours to sand, clear, or barricade roads during inclement weather.
• Knowledge of or ability to learn; practices, methods and materials used in general road construction and maintenance tasks.
• Attends work consistently and punctually.
• Works appropriately with others.
• Works well with supervision receiving instructions / feedback, coaching / counseling and / or action / discipline.
• Adheres to all policies and procedures of Somervell County.
ADDITIONAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Other duties as assigned.
• CDL with Class B and Tanker endorsement.
• Six months experience operating equipment such as a backhoe, rubber tire loader, or track loader. May substitute satisfactory completion of a heavy equipment operator program.
• A basic understanding of equipment repair.
• Reading, writing, and comprehension skills sufficient to: understand and interpret policies, procedures; read invoices and ensure compliance; and write logs, fuel tickets, etc.
• Ability to understand and comprehend verbal directions and communicate orally with supervisor and co-workers.
• Knowledge of tractors and mowers.
• Knowledge of truck driving and operating equipment.
• Knowledge of lawn care maintenance to include proper use of weed eaters, pole saws, and chain saws.
Minimal – Sitting, pushing/pulling, kneeling/squatting, walking, overhead reaching, hand/manual/power tool use.
Moderate – Standing, driving, heavy machinery.
Moving – 51 to 75 lbs.
Minimal Exposure – Extreme cold, noise, exposure to dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals, walking on uneven ground.
Moderate Exposure – Extreme heat, working outdoors, working around moving machinery.
Extensive Exposure – Protective equipment.