To perform emergency and non-emergency dispatch for Somervell County Law Enforcement, Fire and EMS personnel and for various State agencies. To operate the communications center that serves Somervell County and to receive, record and disseminate information. To perform other communications activities as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from Communications Supervisor/911 PSAP Coordinator
Exercises no supervision.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES – Important responsibilities and duties may include but are not limited to the following.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Receive calls from the public requesting emergency and non-emergency fire, law enforcement and EMS assistance; determine the nature, location and priority of the call and dispatch appropriate agency and units as necessary, and maintain compliance with established procedures for operating a computer aided dispatch system.
2. Maintain compliance with procedure for operation of county emergency warning system.
3. Maintain contact with all units on assignment; maintain status and location of all on-duty county law enforcement field units; maintain computerized log of all field calls and units dispatched
4. Monitor, receive, disseminate and transmit information for the Sheriff’s Department and other agencies; operate telecommunications systems to coordinate service calls and relay information and assistance requests involving other law enforcement agencies.
5. Enter all calls for service into the computer aided dispatch system and update the record to include all available information to include addresses, responsible parties, responses and other pertinent information.
6. Monitor all communications related to performance of Sheriff, Fire & EMS, State agencies, Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant Security Personnel
7. Route all incoming telephone communication for the department
8. Enter, update, and received information relating to wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, stolen vehicles, protective orders and maintain corresponding files.
9. Perform state required validations on items, property, persons, etc… which have been entered into the state computer system and maintain corresponding files.
10. Maintain a variety of automated and manual logs, records and files related to communications activities and public safety activities.
11. Oversee and maintain records on burglary/fire alarms, both business and residential; and dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment as needed.
12. Input a wide variety of public safety information using computer terminal.
13. Maintain after hours building security.
14. Communicate with walk-in clientele; provide general services, information and/or referrals as needed.
15. Input and receive state and national network information using computer; prioritize and disseminate as necessary.
1. Basic rules and regulation governing operation of communications radio transmission and receiving system.
Basic radio broadcasting and communications rules and procedures.
2. Basic computer-aided dispatch and 911 system operations.
3. Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
4. Principles and procedures of records keeping
5. General Law enforcement codes.
6. Basic jail Standards Rules and Regulations.
7. Correct English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar
8. Basic knowledge of TCLEOSE policies, TLETS, NLETS, TCIC, and NCIC.
Effectively communicate with and elicit information from sometimes upset and irate citizens
Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
Learn the geographic features and streets within service area.
Effectively perform public safety communications activities.
Operate computer aided dispatch and Enhanced 911 systems.
Perform routine clerical duties.
Type accurately at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
Operate radio transmitting equipment.
Operate computer terminal and other office equipment.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Effectively coordinate with external agencies/sources
Work varying and rotating shifts as assigned.
Exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in emergency situations while under extreme pressure.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
Obtain required certificates and licenses
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following
o Sitting for extended periods of time
o Extended exposure to computer screens
o Lift light materials
o Operating assigned equipment
o Intense attentiveness over a prolonged period of time.
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
o Making observations
o Listening to background sounds over telephone lines
o Reading and writing
o Operating assigned equipment
o Communicating with others
o Interpreting audio-visual input from multiple sources simultaneously
Maintain metal capacity which permits:
o Maintaining control over extreme stress
o Making sound decisions and using good judgment
o Answering questions
o Obtaining pertinent information from emotional or irate persons
o Responding calmly to emergency situations.
o Demonstrating intellectual capabilities
o Effective interaction and communication with others
Effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve:
o Working closely with others
o Working in a closed environment
o Working in confined spaces
o Assisting with arrested, irate persons
o Working irregular hours
o Working situations which induce extreme stress
o continual exposure to computer screens
Experience and Training Guidelines – Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities to qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
One year of experience in receiving and processing public service calls in law enforcement, fire and EMS.
Equivalent to completion of 12th grade.
License or Certificate:
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Texas drivers license
Possession of or ability to obtain a Telecommunications Certificate
Possession of or ability to obtain Medical Dispatch Certification
Possession of or ability to obtain a TCLEOSE Basic Jail Certification.
Working closely with other telecommunications officer positions
Close office environment
Work in confines space
Irregular working hours
Close proximity to multiple computer and electronic equipment
Close association with inmate population.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may require condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time; maintaining intense attentiveness over a prolonged period of time; adequate hearing to interpret radio and phone correspondence, lifting light materials,; assisting with combative inmate; assist in transportation of inmates.